MgO:LiNbO3 Crystals (MgO doping concentration 0.6-1.0mol% or 5mol%),
|Width and Height Tolerance||W(+/-0.1mm) x H(+/-0.1mm)||Length Tolerance||+/-0.2mm|
|Surface Quality||20/10 S/D||Parallelism||<20 arc seconds|
|Flatness||< Lambda/10 @633nm||Perpendicularity||<5 arc minutes|
|Perpendicularity||<5 arc minutes||Chamfer||0.2mmx45°|
|Lateral Surface||Fine ground||Orientation Tolerance||< 10 arc minutes|
LiNbO3 (Lithium Niobate) Crystals are one of the most versatile crystals with their unique electro-optic, piezo-electric properties. In the area of nonlinear optics, the diversified usages of LiNbO3 include, conversion of frequencies and electro-optic modulation, etc. It is an excellent medium for SHG at wavelengths > 1µm, Optical Parametric Oscillation (OPO), Optical Parametric Amplifiers (OPA), and generation of tunable infrared output using difference mixing of frequencies. LiNbO3 features broad spectral transmission (0.3-5.2 micro) ranging from the Visible to MWIR wavelengths and a high laser-induced damage threshold. The large nonlinearities of LiNbO3 also suggest that higher effective nonlinear coefficients (deff) could be achieved at lower power intensities.
Compared with LiNbO3, MgO:LiNbO3 (Magnesium Doped Lithium Niobate) Crystal has a higher optical damage threshold than normal lithium niobate and therefore should be considered for high power applications. Also, LiNbO3 is susceptible to photorefractive damage, which is a detrimental trait for the conversion of frequencies. The problem could be alleviated using MgO doped lithium niobate, which is less prone to optical damage. In addition, MgO: LiNbO3 exhibits its particular advantages for Non-Critical Phase Matched (NCPM) Second Harmonic Generation/Doubling Frequencies (SHG) at room temperature, and SFG.
Due to its large Electro-Optic (E-O) coefficients, LiNbO3 crystals are also the ideal medium for manufacturing EO modulators.
Hangzhou Shalom EO provides custom LiNbO3 and MgO(0.6~1.0%)/MgO(5mol%) Doped LiNbO3 Crystals for Nonlinear Optical Processing. The crystals are available in the form of blanks, or laser-grade-polished/coated. Modules with electrodes are available upon your request. Besides, EO Grade LiNbO3/MgO:LiNbO3 Crystals, and Periodical Poled Lithium Niobate (PPLN) Crystals for Quasi Phase Matched (QPM) conversion of frequencies, fabricated Y128/Y36/Y/Z-Cut LiNbO3 SAW Wafers are also accessible in Shalom EO.
Application of Lithium Niobate and MgO Doped Lithium Niobate:
1. Second Harmonic Generation,in particular for 1064nm Nd:YAG lasers and low power laser diodes between 1.3-1.55 micros
2. OPO for Generation of the tunable laser output in the IR range
3. MgO:LiNbO3 has the additional advantage of higher resistance to photorefractive damage, therefore could handle high-power applications
4. MgO:LiNbO3 could also realize Non-critical Phase Matched conversion of frequencies under room temperature, saving the cost of a crystal oven for maintaining temperatures.
5. Electro-optic Modulation. Lithium Niobate is an ideal material to be incorporated into EO modulators such as pockels cells, with the virtues of low half-wave/quarter-wave voltage, and low residential birefringence.
6. PPLN crystals are superior for Quasi-Phase-Matched conversion of frequencies, and optical parametric oscillation. Compared to Critical Phase Matching based on the birefringence of materials, QPM is less a victim of the spatial walk-off, and the deff could be utilized more to the full.